The History of Portuguese Food - Oh, the Flavor


Portuguese cuisine is simple and wholesome, often using the familiar and delicious trinity of garlic, onion, and olive oil in savory dishes, and the decadence of egg yolks in desserts. I grew up in a Portuguese household, and my love of food and herbs is due, in part, to those early years when there was always soup simmering on the back burner of the gas stove, and bread rising in a big covered dish on the water heater. We kept an herb and vegetable garden just beyond the back door, where my mother and grandmother grew kale, kohlrabi, spinach, beans, sprouts, peppers, tomatoes, squash, and dozens of herbs.

I've started a blog about the foods of Portugal, although it's been slow going. If you have an interest in the cuisine of this amazing country, take a look at some recipes and enjoy the scenery.

Some important herbs in Portuguese Cooking:
Start with some background in: An Introduction to Portugal Cuisine.

Cheers,

Sara

Comments

  1. Nice blog!

    I love the smell of cumin wafting through my kitchen while preparing Portuguese beans and soups. (kale, chicken & rice). Since there are no Portuguese stores convenient to me, I've been purchasing food and cultural items at:

    http://astore.amazon.com/portugueseproducts-20

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's not forget white pepper, allspice and anise seeds! So common in the Azores.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blog! I am travelling to Portugal next month. I cannot wait to try the delicious Portuguese food. Luckily, I have received my Portugal visa last evening.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Share some ideas.